This was the clutter situation in question; kitchen shelves and tops filled with cookery books. It might seem logical to have them in the kitchen, but there are many more than this on the shelves upstairs, so they may as well all be together, and tidy.
Talking about books, I think my crafting books probably out number the cookery books (not including my son's cookery books or the pile under the stairs that came from MIL's when she passed away - but let's not think about all those!). Above is the shelf of craft books in my shed.
This shelf is the craft part of the shelves on the landing, and below are a few strays that came from the shed and made their way onto the coffee table in the sitting room.
And let's not forget the magazines.
Although I've made a few projects from these, I don't think I've really made the best of them, or got my money's worth. I'm going to make it my mission, in 2014, to remedy that. So look out for progress on this, starting in the New Year.
Now, here's what I have been up to the last couple of weeks. Only one of these projects was made completely from a pattern and none of them were from my books - for the rest I used my usual method of 'winging it'.
This bag started out as a simple, hexagon drawstring bag: purchased from a charity shop. Before starting any reconstruction, I removed the lining, and replaced 5 or 6 of the hexagons because the fabrics were a bit 'nasty'. For the revamp I added some bits of chopped up, charity shop corduroy trousers and a new lining, then shaped the bag with pleats at the top and boxed bottom corners.
An unplanned, and useful, side-effect of the construction means that the bag is totally reversible!
This little bag and purse set is made from a pair of baby's cords. The useful, in-built decoration meant less work for me! The handle is made from half a belt.
Although this crocheted blanket is not from a book or magazine, it is inspired by a scarf in one of the books.
Motivated by the rapidly dropping temperatures, these fingerless mittens knitted up quickly. I haven't tackled knitting in-the-round for a while, but was pleased that this time I was able to work out how to knit them from the right side, rather than inside-out .
That's it for today then. I started off with the intention of making two posts with these photos, but they seem to have merged into one long one!
Bye for now