Thursday 3 November 2011

Before He Was Famous!

Well there you have it, Brulee is more popular than Caramel (see previous post). The only disenting voice came from DD who has only tasted the latter and, although has served the former when working as a waitress, didn't much like the look of it and was never tempted to try a sample.

Thank you for the helpful hints regarding how to bring together my Bee Quilt (also previous post).  I looked at the pic with the soft green sashing/border in mind and I think that's the way to go. 

There are a couple of old books sitting on our bookshelf that I browse through now and again out of interest.  One is a knitting book and the other is about sewing.  I can't remember precisley where they came from.  Most likely they were from when we sorted out MIL's house after she passed away although she was a crocheter rather than a knitter and not very skilled at sewing.

"A perfectly plain, perfectly knitted twin-set is a 'must' for every woman.........."
The knitting book was published in 1949 and has obviously been used most because a few of the patterns have pencil notes on and the pages are coming loose in places.  Most of the patterns use 3ply yarn and are smallish in size, many without any extra sizes.  There seemed to be no such thing as 'loose fitting' in those days either.  All the garments are shaped to within an inch of their lives and are very uncomfortable tight looking. 

"The teen-age youth will appreciate this polo-neck sweater for weekend wear......"
There aren't many teenagers these days who would appreciate this, or any other kind of hand-knitted sweater. Do you think it's the clothes, the hair styles or the black-and-white photos that make them look much older than they are?  Does this young chap look familiar to you?  He did to me.............


.....and when I came to this photo a bit later (which is of the same person) I was more convinced than ever of who he is.  I may be wrong but I think................no, I'm not going tell.  I've just changed my mind because I think it would be much more fun for you to guess.  

----

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Believe it or not these people are of friends of mine.   We're on our way to a party to raise money for the local Music FestivalWeThey like to dress up!!!!  It's funny how some peoples' personalities change when they put on a costume.  OH in particular became a different person.  He said it was because people reacted and behaved differently than they normally do to HIM.  I wonder how much of our normal behaviour is governed by how people interact with us rather than how we really feel!?
 
Me on the left, OH on the right!!

I had to change my plan for the little felt hearts.  The darker felt was finer than the pink so when I tried to hang it up it pulled out of shape. I put together a few more hearts and joined them in a circle but it's a bit too 'chunky' for my liking.   Put it down to experience - on to the next thing......


Here's the crazy patchwork piece I made (along with another one) turned into a ready-to-be-stuffed pincushion.  Stuffing will commence after the weekend because I'm off on an exciting little jaunt by myself.


Stitchy progress since last time in addition to the above:-

Knitted cardigan - second sleeve still not finished but I'm on the homeward straight i.e. decreasing the raglan shoulder.That's it!! 

Well this time I even have excuses!  The last couple of weeks I've been doing some proof-reading for a friend and I've joined a Musical Theatre Group.
I know, I know - there's no hope for me. :-)

Bye for now
Teresa x

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Well, no wonder people respond to your OH differently! (The far right, right? You make a cute witch. I have no idea who that guy is. My only guess would be sean connery but I don't think that is right I'm just trying to think British. I am not very good at things like this. But I do like the more mature, purposeful look of the teen of the past.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

hehe, you, your husband and your friends look great on your costumes! It's funny to look at old knitting books! :)

hausfrau said...

I too guessed a Bond, but I think it's Roger Moore.
Intrigued by your random quilts: how large are these pincushions?!

Highland Monkey's said...

Second vote for Roger Moore. Cor he looked dishy!