Tuesday 26 May 2009

Simple Living

(updated info in bold 05/05/09)

In my attempt to live more simply I've decided to put together a list of aims to remind me of what I am trying to acheive. I don't think it's enough to recycle and reuse, although that's good practice in itself, I want to produce less waste in general. This seems to be as good a place as any to put it as I'll be able to update it as I acheive/add/delete or generally change anything about it. I'm not sure exactly how to arrange the list as several of the items could appear under different headings. I think a good start would be a list to remind me of what I already do so here goes -

Things I already do
- Recycle as much as possible
- Buy organic and/or natural much of the time (especially fruit and veg)
- Became vegetarian August 08
- Exercise fairly regularly (left the gym I belonged to about 2 years ago)
- Try to use recycled supplies as much as possible for my crafting
- Take my own bags to the shops/supermarket
- Dry washing outside or under cover (I own a dryer but can’t remember when I last used it)
- Use natural cleaning / cosmetic /bathroom products as far as possible (trying to find ones with less packaging especially plastic)
- Home baking - Compost kitchen/garden waste
- Run a car with low running costs
- Walk instead of drive where possible
- Buy clothes/books/craft supplies from charity shops
- Take packed lunches to work every day in resuable containers
- Grow some of our own fruit and vegetables
Well, that's not a bad start. I'll think next about what else I want to do and make another list.


The photo at the top of this post is of my daughter's 2 dogs at the weekend chasing a stick thrown into the river. They had a whale of a time and it was a good way for them to cool off on such a glorious sunny day.

We were looking after the dogs for a few days and, not being used to dogs, it was like having a couple of toddlers around the house again.


They both had to carry the same stick back to the thrower, no matter which way they had hold if it, which led to some very funny walking positions.

And a final picture of the beautiful countryside near where we live.
Bye for now
Teresa x
















No comments: