(updated info in bold 05/05/09)
In my attempt to live more simply I've decided to put together a list of aims to remind me of what I am trying to acheive. I don't think it's enough to recycle and reuse, although that's good practice in itself, I want to produce less waste in general. This seems to be as good a place as any to put it as I'll be able to update it as I acheive/add/delete or generally change anything about it. I'm not sure exactly how to arrange the list as several of the items could appear under different headings. I think a good start would be a list to remind me of what I already do so here goes -
Things I already do
- Recycle as much as possible
- Buy organic and/or natural much of the time (especially fruit and veg)
- Became vegetarian August 08
- Exercise fairly regularly (left the gym I belonged to about 2 years ago)
- Try to use recycled supplies as much as possible for my crafting
- Take my own bags to the shops/supermarket
- Dry washing outside or under cover (I own a dryer but can’t remember when I last used it)
- Use natural cleaning / cosmetic /bathroom products as far as possible (trying to find ones with less packaging especially plastic)
- Home baking - Compost kitchen/garden waste
- Run a car with low running costs
- Walk instead of drive where possible
- Buy clothes/books/craft supplies from charity shops
- Take packed lunches to work every day in resuable containers
- Grow some of our own fruit and vegetables
Well, that's not a bad start. I'll think next about what else I want to do and make another list.
The photo at the top of this post is of my daughter's 2 dogs at the weekend chasing a stick thrown into the river. They had a whale of a time and it was a good way for them to cool off on such a glorious sunny day.
We were looking after the dogs for a few days and, not being used to dogs, it was like having a couple of toddlers around the house again.