Monday 10 August 2009

Tavistock Break



We decided to take the scenic route to Tavistock for our short break and drove through Dartmoor National Park.


The weather wasn't very good for taking photos but I tried to take a few as we drove and walked around a few little coastal villages the next day.

I love the look of these little, hidden streets but I think I'd feel quite cramped living there


This is the B&B we stayed at at. Very friendly and accommodating and excellent breakfast service. Although, I think the next time we go away we'll go self-catering so we can have a lie-in occasionally - it is a holiday after all!

On the way home (on the recommendation of a shopkeeper in Tavistock) we stopped at Castle Drogo, a National Trust site and the last castle to be built in England. It was full of lots of paintings, photos and items that belonged to the family that lived there which helped visitors to imagine what it was like living like that. Photos were not allowed inside the castle but it was a lovely sunny day so I managed to get a couple of the gardens.

I can't finish without mentioning the lunch we had in the cafe at Castle Drogo. We both had a large slice of quiche with salad leaves, mushroom salad and either potato salad (OH) or cous cous (me). OH had an individual summer pudding with clotted cream to follow and I had a cheese scone. I have to say it was all delicious and well worth a mention.
We visited a few charity shops in Tavistock and I picked up a couple of bits for crafting. More on that soon.
Bye for now
Teresa

No comments: