Monday 1 March 2010

Dewi Sant!


I wandered, lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vale and hill
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils...............
William Wordsworth (of course, who else!)
-
While at school, I once illustrated this poem for an art project. I put a lot of time and thought into it and was pleased with the finished result. The teacher wasn't quite so taken with it though and I didn't earn a very good grade. I was reminded of this as I saw this solitary cloud through my window at work today and also, of course, of daffodils, seeing as today is St David's Day and the daffodil is the official flower of Wales. So I hope you all had a wonderful St David's Day! If I had a photo of daffodils I would've put one here too, but they are about a month overdue this year due to the cold weather we've been having.
-

I did, however, enjoy a special St David's Day menu when I was taken out for lunch yesterday and since the lovely, thoughtful Wayside Wanderer has shown an interest in hearing what was on the menu, I will elaborate a little. If you are from the UK or Wales in particular you will know all about this. I wish I'd taken my camera and could show you as well as tell you because the food looked as good as it tasted!
-
The starters were Leek and Potato Soup, Haddock Salad, Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Salad and one more dish that I can't remember (A leek is also an emblem of Wales but I don't know if there's any connection with the other ingredients apart from the fact that they are local). I had the Goat's Cheese salad - it was slightly warm, delicious and not too fillling before the main course.
-
The choices for main course were Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding (a traditional UK Sunday lunch), Lamb Shank with Rosemary (Lamb is also associated with spring and Wales), Glamorgan Sausage on a bed of cabbage in a creamy sauce and once again I can't remember the 4th choice. I had the Glamorgan Sausage which is the vegetarian choice and is like a rissole with a tasty leek filling (Glamorgan is a County in Wales).
-
Then came the deserts - Bara Brith bread pudding with liquor ice-cream, Welsh cake tower with clotted cream and local strawberries, choice of ice-cream or Welsh Cheeses and biscuits. Bara Brith is Welsh for fruit cake, Welsh cakes are small, round, flat cakes that are traditionally cooked on a Bakestone. One thing I was surprised about was the strawberries being described as 'local' - I don't know how anyone could grow them in Wales in February, even in a greenhouse or poly-tunnel!!
-
We were at the hotel for more than 3 hours, finishing off with coffee in the lounge bar. It was just what I needed - very relaxing - sitting and chatting - and not having to worry about cooking or washing up. While we were there my DS requested Cheese and Potato Pie with Baked Beans for dinner tonight. It's a favourite from his childhood that we haven't had for a while and seeing as it's very quick and easy, I'm happy to oblige. If you're not sure what this is it's basically mashed potato with grated cheese added then more grated cheese sprinkled on top and melted/browned. You can also add gently fried onions to the potato if you like. Not the healthiest of meals but good old comfort food during the cold weather and nice to have once in a while.

Bye for now
Teresa x

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I really enjoyed reading this. All the food sounds so exotic. I am pretty sure I have never eaten most of what you describe (except the potato pie...yum). I am so glad you had such a relaxing, enjoyable time. What a treat this was! You have a sweet husband.

Your post makes me want to learn more about Wales. Is there a movie or a book (can be fiction), or both, that really unfolds what life in Wales is like? I've read The Welsh Girl, which I liked a lot, but most everything else I have read takes place in Scotland. Or Ireland (loved the movie The Secret of Roan Inish).

I hope you have a great week and that sunshine and daffodils make their way to you sooner than later! The sun is shining here in Texas today, but it is still cold and windy.