Tuesday 19 October 2010

Autumn Sunshine!

I've had a lovely weekend.  Saturday morning was my regular Singing group meeting and in the afternoon I went for a browse at a Craft Fair held here at the local school hall. 

(Half way up The Dingle I stopped to catch my breath to photograph the autumn colours)
Not having had time to fit in any exercise on Sunday morning and not wanting to waste such a fabulous late summer day, I persuaded OH to join me for a walk.  He chose the location and drove us to the yard from where his estate work is based and we headed off up The Dingle.
When we neared the top and I turned around I was astounded to see how far and wide the view extended.  And was surprised to find I could fit (l-r) the Blorenge, the Sugaloaf and the Skirrid mountains all in this one photo.

At the top of the hill was a small herd of these lovely dark brown cattle.  The mother here was contentedly munching away, ignoring us, but the calf was quite wary!
Through fields and over stiles, we came to a gap in the trees.
On the way down the field was filled with sheep not cattle.   I think they must have been an old breed with their long tails and brown front and back legs. She was a bit wary too - one more step closer and off she scuttled (do sheep scuttle - oh well, it seemed appropriate)!

Oh, and what would a lovely weekend be without a bit of stitching.  Above is just under half of the HSTs joined together. 
Here's the mini quilt coming together with the scraps from the quilt above surrounding the transfers (now embroidered) that have been waiting on the kitchen table for a few months for me to use.
Only some quilting and binding to do on this. Famous last words!!

Bye for now
Teresa x

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures of your walk. And your stitching looks fabulous. The mini-quilt is gorgeous. :D

Just wanted to let you know that I'd tagged you in my latest blog post. Do pop round if you fancy taking part, but don't worry if not ;-)
http://wp.me/p11YdZ-cJ

Lis Harwood said...

What stunning views, well worth the walk. LOve your quilts too - a very successful weekend I'd say!

Leslie said...

Breathtaking scenery you have there! And mountains called Sugarloaf??? HOw great is that?

And I am especially fond of the embroidery in the quilt squares. What a pretty touch!

Joanne said...

Thank you for that lovely walking tour! The photos were fabulous as was the scenery!
Thank you for sharing!
Joanne

Peach Rainbow said...

Beautiful Scenery!
Beautiful Quilt!
Beautiful Embroidery!
Thanks for the lovely photos :D

Tracey said...

Your walk looked wonderful. We have had some good weather the last couple of days. Frost in my neck of the woods tonight so maybe another clear day tomorrow too ... not very good at doing the exercise bit though. I need to take a leaf out of your book.

I love the hst quilt. One of my favourite blocks!

John'aLee said...

Wow! That is some beautiful country.
Love your transfers. By the way how do you transfer your embroidery work? I just found out about a product called Transfer Ease where you put their paper through the copier and your design comes right out on it...then you stick it to your fabric and do the needlework right through it. I am thrilled. I so hope I like it because transferring is the part I dread the most.

Blueberry Heart said...

Isn't autumn scenery just gorgeous? Your photos are lovely!
Fab quilt too - love the colours you've used.
BH x

Elisabeth said...

Love your photo and your nature. Would like to have that walk too:-)

Elisabeth

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

What a beautiful landscape!!! Nice place to go for a walk! Your miniquilt looks beautiful!!