Thursday 2 February 2012

Before and After!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I've joined a musical theatre group so I thought you might be interested in a little update. Despite a few doubts, I've continued to go to rehearsals for Me and My Girl.  I'm not quite sure who I'm supposed to be in it (I don't have a speaking part) but think I'm probably a servant.  Not having seen the show, and rehearsing songs without knowing the story or how the songs fit into it makes things a bit confusing.  I'm sure things will become clearer as we progress.  I've made a few friends now, which was difficult at first when all we did was sit and sing then go home.  We were informed at the last rehearsal on Wednesday that it is 10 weeks until the first performance!! Gulp!!  I'm not sure how many times we're doing it or exactly where, but I will keep going and put my confidence in the experience and knowledge of the longer term members to pull it all together. 


I had a lovely day off work on Monday!  I booked it off recently after remembering that I had a day left to take before 1st February.  The plan was to sew all day, seeing as it was a day I wouldn't normally have been at home.  
before
Unfortunately, there was a large pile of ironing calling me from the basket in the bathroom.  My sister, (who normally does my ironing these days) had just gone on holiday for 2 weeks so it was not a good idea to ignore the pile and keep adding to it for the next fortnight!  And besides, I know me, and I wouldn't have been able to settle down to sewing knowing that it was there lurking and taunting me. 

after
So - it took me all morning (it doesn't look that much does it?) but it was done.  I felt a great sense of satisfaction when it was finished, particularly as it was the first time the ironing basket had been completely empty for quite a few years (yes that's right - years)!!  Then, it was onto the fun stuff!!

before

I'd been over to my shed in the garden on the weekend and, with a few projects in mind, pulled out some supplies. Some of it is pictured above.  I wanted to make a couple more zipped pouches trying a different method for putting in the zips.  This time I covered the end of the zips before making up the pouches.  The result was neat-ish but still a bit bulky.  For good measure, I also ran up a mini pin-cushion with the same fabrics.

after
Last but not least was this little pouch with an appliqued key.  This one I made for a friend in work who was celebrating her birthday.  She'd mentioned a few weeks ago how she always had to go hunting in the bottom of her bag for various keys and that she should get a purse to put them all in, so when I heard that it was her birthday, I had no trouble coming up with something to give her.  She was delighted with it and filled it up with her keys straight away. 


Later on my friend asked me if I'd sewn the key on, thinking it was a bought pouch.  When I told her I'd made the whole thing she was very impressed and said I should make and sell more things like this.  Another friend, who was present, said to me knowingly "See!!" because that was something she has said to be many times before.  If I'm lacking in anything to motivate me to sell what I make, it's certainly not friendly praise and encouragement.

Now, with the danger of repeating myself like I did last week, here's my progress:

Zipped pouches - 2 complete
Pin cushion - 1 complete.
Knitted cowl - roughly 20 rows completed (not convinced the stitch pattern is working yet)
I also have some fabric standing by to make a couple of tote bags so let's wait and see what comes of that!!

Bye for now
Teresa x

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, you are getting things done! I took today off from usual stuff and what a nice change of pace. I don't have much to show for it like you, though. I love your key pouch! So cute.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Hi Teresa! you really made lots of things on your day off! Love the pouches :) Wow, in 10 weeks you will make your first perfomance, I'm sure you'll do it very well! It will be a great experience :) Have a great week!

Very Berry Handmade said...

Lovely Teresa - the pouches look fab - and the zips look great to me. 10 weeks! Wow.....